The Netbox Project - Wiveliscombe
The aim of NetBox is “to pilot and validate a model for educationally self-sufficient rural communities where traditional consumers of educational services can become producers of educational services and content”. To achieve this aim, the project consortium will engage and work alongside six rural communities across Europe to champion the Netbox project. These communities will identify and harness all available skill, knowledge and educational assets locally in order to address identified educational needs within the communities.
Through the development of innovative Community Learning Social Networks, Netbox will respond to the challenge of supporting smart, sustainable and inclusive communities by exploiting ICT-based social networking to connect people of all ages and educational dispositions to public services, learning and civic engagement.
The objectives of NetBox are to:
- develop a cost-effective model for education provision in small rural communities that considerably increases the range and accessibility of educational services and supports
- create a greater sense of community animating residents, service providers and businesses toward a common set of educational, social inclusion and development goals
- address motivational and dispositional factors of those on the margins of lifelong learning by developing a full range of guidance, mentoring and tutoring supports
- foster the development of many kinds of learning in the selected rural communities
- encourage local educational partnerships to address the needs of local businesses thereby supporting local employment and development
- promote inter-cultural awareness by linking online learning communities in different pilot communities through Online Twinning Agreements
- link communities with former members now part of the growing diasporas that span the world and harness their experience for the benefit of local communities
Consortium partners will use best practice in online learning, social networking design and a blend of Asset Based Community Development and Needs-based Community Development approaches to achieve the aims and objectives of the project.